Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Contention

There is no need to argue about our beliefs.

But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; (2 Timothy 2:23-25 KJV)

Avoiding those foolish questions can be a bit difficult. There are so many agendas being posted. Trust me, I have one, too. And, I include a lot of questions in my posts. If they appear foolish and unlearned, you may avoid them – or you may instruct me, allowing the acknowledgement of His truth.

Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease. (Proverbs 22:10 KJV)

And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus; (Acts 15:39 KJV)

Was this contention part of God’s plan? To broaden the spreading of His good news? Someday we’ll know for certain, but in my heart I doubt it. It has, through centuries, been studied, preached and used as examples, but the separation had to have been painful. ‘Sharp’ brings to mind painful.

The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: (Philippians 1:16 KJV)

This is one verse whose meaning is lessened by removing from it’s context. It would appear that preaching a contentious Christ was painful to Paul – a valid conclusion. But the surrounding verses give a fuller picture – and an added conclusion:

Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. (Philippians 1:15-18 KJV)

Rejoice!!! Christ is preached!

So, I won’t mind when I read one child of God’s contemptuous comments on another child of God’s beliefs, keeping in mind that He is the judge and He has promised:

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)