Thursday, July 31, 2008

Not Certain?

For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living? (Psalms 56:13 KJV)

This one’s for Christians. You know, the people who have stood before men and confessed their faith in Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.

Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: (Luke 12:8 KJV)

The ones who have committed to living within the confines of Christ’s example as defined in God’s word, the Bible.

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. (1 John 5:2 KJV)

You know who you are. To our shame, some non-Christians may not know who we are. But that’s another subject, another time.

Today you know the first part of this verse applies. God has delivered our souls from death. For that we are eternally grateful. We praise and worship Him for doing so through his grace.

That second part is a bit more difficult. I believe we all state openly that we know He will keep us from falling, but I’m not so certain we live it. Our fears overcome our ability to know that God has the ability to keep us:

… for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (2 Timothy 1:12b KJV)

What about those who have been born-again, baptized, served in His church – then sinned, perhaps openly and grievously – is He able to keep? How can you doubt?

Did God turn His back on Peter after he denied Christ? (Matthew 26) Or when he misunderstood the message? (Acts 10) Or when the missionaries argued and split? (Acts 15:39) Or when Paul confessed to doing that which he would not? (Romans 7:15) The answer is a firm “No”, for

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (Romans 3:23 KJV)

Only He is able to keep us. We cannot, so it is necessary that He do so. For me, He has done a marvelous job, in spite of myself!

Paul said it so well for those of us who have made that commitment to Christ:

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39 KJV)

Not even me, myself nor I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)